Travel

Tuesday, January 14, 2014


If only I could spend every penny I own on traveling the world. That would be the best. I would much rather use my hard-earned money on flight tickets, excursions and new restaurants rather than, let's say...clothes, bills and rent. But alas, I would be naked and homeless, which doesn't sounds like the best life either.

Growing up I traveled to Mexico almost every summer to visit my dad and other relatives. I was very accustomed to flying at a young age and airports quickly became one of my favorite places. When I was 8, I went with my family to Lima, Peru to see where my mom grew up and to meet her side of the family. My mom tells me I cried at the airport on the way back because I didn't want to leave. My mom, sister and I went back to Peru in 2010 and visited Cusco, where my grandma grew up.  We also explored Machu Picchu which was a huge check off my bucket list. 



I am very fortunate to have married someone who loves to travel as much as I do! Derek and I are constantly planning trips and have made it a goal to go on one 'big' trip a year. We'll see how long we can keep that going.


I truly believe that "travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer." You learn so much about yourself and others when you visit a new place. Why is travel so important?


1. It takes you out of your comfort zone. 
Going to a new country can be intimidating, especially when you don't speak the language or don't know much about the culture. Traveling can take you out of your typical level of comfort and stretch you in ways that help you grow as a person. There is no quicker way to grow than to try something you've never done before. 

2. You discover new ways of living. 
It's easy to think that our way of living is the only/correct way if we don't know otherwise. Immersing yourself in a new culture can broaden your way of thinking and help you discover new ways of doing things that may bring greater joy into your life.

3. You wont regret it. 
When people are on their death bed, do you think they looking back on their life and think "I really shouldn't have bothered backpacking through Europe." I highly doubt it. If anything, they probably look back and wish they would have taken the time to experience more of what this world has to offer. The memories you make and the things you learn when you travel have lasting effects that you will most likely cherish for the rest of your life. 

1 comment: