10 Things I Love About Living in Utah

Thursday, January 9, 2014


What?! Things I love about Utah?? My husband will be the first to tell you that Utah is not my favorite place. Being born and raised in California makes it very difficult to appreciate living anywhere else. I was so excited when Derek was accepted into BYU's MBA program in 2012, but it wasn't until be were packing our bags that August that it hit me...I would be leaving my beautiful California and living in Utah for 2 years.

I have come a long way in these past 2 years and have really grown to appreciate what Utah has to offer. Sure it gets below 30 degrees and it's over 600 miles to the nearest beach, but it holds its own in other ways. Here are 10 things I LOVE about living in Utah (in no particular order):

1. Fall. Although I don't agree with people who say "California doesn't have seasons," they definitely don't compare to Utah's seasons. Fall in Utah is unlike anything I have ever seen. The bright yellows, oranges, and reds are out of this world. The smell of pumpkin in the air as early as September. It's magical.

2. Snowy Christmas. What's not to love about a winter wonderland at Christmas time? Everything looks more festive when it is powdered with glistening white snow. If only it would go away on December 26th. Oh well.

3. Mountains. I grew up around green rolling hills, so mountains were a big change. In the winter they are covered in white and look absolutely stunning. They also allow for winter sports, such as snowboarding. We haven't gone since moving here (because we are poor students) but are determined to make it at least once this winter!

4. Cafe Rio. Oh man, this is going to be one of the hardest things to leave behind when we move back to California (unfortunately they don't have any in Northern CA). I am a huge Chipotle fan and used to turn my nose up at those crazy Utahans obsessed with their Cafe Rio. Well, it didn't take long for me to catch the craziness and now it is one of my absolute favorite places to eat. It's just so good!

5. Zupas. Although I have only been to Zupas a few times (it is right next to Cafe Rio in Provo so Cafe Rio usually wins that battle) I really enjoy their soups and salads. I love any place that will let me create my own salad and adds a complimentary chocolate-covered strawberry to my meal.

6. National Parks. Utah has some b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l national parks including Zion's and Arches. Unfortunately we haven't made it to Zion's yet, but we were able to go to Moab and see the incredible arches there. You feel like you are in an Indiana Jones movie there, perhaps because the opening scene of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was filmed there.

7. Nearby LDS Temples. There are LDS temples seemingly everywhere here in Utah! Not only are they beautiful to look at, but the work we do inside of them is so important. It took us about an hour to get to the nearest temple (Oakland LDS temple) when we were living in the South Bay, and that is still A LOT closer than other people around the world who may have to travel days to get to the nearest temple. Here in Provo we can drive 5 minutes to get to the temple. And by next year there will be 2 temples here is Provo!

8. Family and Friends. We will always have friends in Utah. Everyone knows that there are tons of Mormons in Utah, and some of them are bound to be our friends! We also currently have family living here which has been so fun! Dinners, game nights, Yogurtland trips...it's great.

9. Dollar Theater. Coming from California where everything is as expensive as it gets, it is so so nice to only pay $1 for a movie!! Granted the movies they show at the dollar theater are not new releases, they usually play movies that have barely gone on video. To me, it is usually worth the money saved to see a new movie 3 months late (unless it's a big one, like the Hunger Games!!).

10. Cheap rent. Oh  my goodness, rent is so cheap here! Again, everything in California is as expensive as it gets and housing is no exception. We were able to rent a 2 bedroom apartment for less than half of what we were paying for a 1 bedroom in California!! I will have major sticker shock when we are looking for apartments in the bay area.

And there you have it. Utah has some major perks that I have really grown to appreciate and even love. 

Here's to our last winter in Utah!

No comments:

Post a Comment