On Being Vegetarian

Thursday, January 23, 2014



This post is NOT intended to try and convince anyone to become vegetarian. People tend to ask me similar questions when they find out that I'm vegetarian (technically pescatarian since I eat fish) so I thought it would be nice to address it here. These are the questions I usually get:

1. How long have you been vegetarian?
About 4 years (since 2010). I can't believe it's been that long already!

2. What made you decide to become vegetarian?
I usually keep my answer to this question short and sweet because I don't think people really want to hear about why I stopped eating something that they might still eat. My quick answer is that I watched Food, Inc (don't worry, the link takes you to the wikipedia page, not the actual film! Although it is on Netflix if you're interested). Food, Inc is a documentary about corporate farming in the US and particularly highlights meat production. Watching the film and doing some research on my own was enough for me to say bye bye to meat for good. 

3. Isn't it difficult?
Is was easy for me to stop eating red meat because I didn't eat it very often anyway. Chicken was a lot harder. Chicken was my biggest source of protein at that point and I used it in many of my lunch and dinner recipes. After doing a little research I was excited to find out that there are many other high-protein foods that are not meat. It was fun to try new recipes that I probably would have never tried before. One of the greatest benefits I've noticed since becoming vegetarian is that I enjoy foods that I used to hate. Don't know how it happened, but I'm not complaining! 
Also, people sometimes think that we can only go to certain restaurants that accommodate my vegetarianism. This may have been the case a long time ago, but nowadays almost every restaurant has a vegetarian option. It also makes it easier that I eat fish because there is usually some kind of seafood option on the menu. 

4. How do you get enough protein in your diet?
Like I mentioned, there are other high-protein sources besides meat. It is definitely something that I have to be conscious about though. I ate a lot of tofu when I first became vegetarian but I eventually got tired of it. Fish is a good source of protein and I try to eat it 2 times a week. I try to snack on things like greek yogurt or fruit with peanut butter. Quinoa is amazing! It is higher in protein than any other grain and it is very versatile to cook with. I also like adding beans to a salad, burrito or just with rice. 

5. Do you cook meat for your husband?
My husband is from Texas and he is most definitely not vegetarian. He has really cut back on his meat intake since we got married but it's not because I wont cook it for him. About 80% of our meals at home are vegetarian. Sometimes I add meat to his half of whatever I am making (such as enchiladas or pasta) but most of the time he is happy eating it without the meat. He cooks a good amount too and will make things with or without meat. He usually orders meat when we go out to eat and that doesn't bother me at all.

6. Are you going to raise your kids on a vegetarian diet?
This is a tricky one and it is something that Derek and I have talked about several times. I feel strongly about not eating meat, but I try not to force that upon anyone else. My children, however, will not be just anyone else. They are my kids and I want to raise them the best way I know how, which to me would be on a vegetarian diet. However, I also believe that what you eat is very much a personal decision. One that I want my future children to be free to make for themselves when they are old enough. Thus, Derek and I plan to feed our children as we currently feed ourselves: mostly vegetarian but with some organic free-range meat. This is what we plan on doing. "Plan" being the keyword. We don't currently have kids so I wont even pretend to know what it is like to feed a picky toddler. 

 And there you have it.
The word "vegetarian" has kind of a snobby connotation. I don't bother calling myself a "pescatarian" because it sounds even more pretentious. I usually don't like telling people I am vegetarian because I think they will automatically assume I think I am above them in some way. This is not the case at all. Like I said before, I try not to force my views on anyone else just as I hope they will not force their views on me. I do, however, believe that what you eat is so important and people should educate themselves to know what is the best way for them (and their family) to nourish their body to live a healthy and happy life. 

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea you were vegetarian! Cool!loved the post:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christian! I don't usually tell people unless it comes up some how :)

      Delete
  2. So interesting Stephanie! great read! I need to get into cooking with more quinoa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki! You can seriously use it in almost anything: salads, soups, breads and even cookies! This is one of my favorite quinoa recipes: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/08/southwestern-black-bean-quinoa-and.html

      Delete