Questions to Consider Before Choosing Travel Destinations

Monday, January 6, 2014


One of the most difficult parts of planning our trip has been trying to narrow it down to which countries/cities we most want to visit. It's a hard thing to do when you want to go EVERYWHERE! Derek has to keep reminding me that this will most likely not be our last trip to Europe or Asia (we even hope to live abroad someday) but it is still so difficult when there are so many amazing places I have yet to see. I am doing my best and so far I am thinking we can visit about 11 countries in the 7 weeks we have (with overnight layovers in 2 additional countries). Doesn't sounds like a did a very good job of "narrowing it down," huh? But I really did try and do as much research as I could to decide which places I most want to visit. Here are some questions that I kept asking myself to help me in the process:

What is the purpose of the trip?

This is the most important question to ask yourself. Are you going on this trip for some rest and relaxation; to take in a new language and culture; to learn more about the history of an area, etc. The answer to this question will definitely narrow down which destination is best for you. 

Is your goal to see as many places as possible in your allocated time or to deep-dive into just a few places?

This has been the hardest question to answer for me. When I travel, I typically prefer to visit just a few places so that I can really try and pick up the language (at least conversationally) and absorb all that the culture has to offer. In the past, Derek and I have volunteered in the areas we've traveled to because it allows us to really get to know the people and get a better understanding of what everyday life is like for them (on top of being able to provide service to others in need). 

This trip is a little bit different, however. Since I have never been to Europe before, I want to see as much of it as I can in the time that we have. I am trying to learn things about each area that we are going to before we go so that I can make the most of our short time there. We are planning on volunteering for a week in Cambodia since our time in Asia will be a little more flexible. More on that in a later post. 

What is your budget for the trip?

It is crucial to know what your budget is for your trip before planning it. Having a realistic idea of how much you can spend will save you some heartache later on down the road, trust me. After you have your budget figured out you can start doing research on the areas your are interested in and what your spending will be like there. Some places are more expensive to get to than others, or have more expensive lodging, food, etc. We know that things will cost a lot more in the European countries we are visiting than the countries in South East Asia, so we are saving many of our excursions and activities for when we are in Asia. 

Who are you traveling with and how do they like to travel?

Traveling with other people can be so much fun, but it can also be difficult. What if you are interested in doing different activities or have different "styles" when it comes to traveling? Some people like to be on-the-go all the time and visit every museum or shop in the area while the other prefers to lounge by the pool all day. It took a little while for Derek and I to discover each other's traveling style but, once we did, it was so much easier to plan and enjoy our trips! We consult with each other and point out what our "must-dos" are. For example, in Thailand, my must-do is visit a humane elephant sanctuary and his must-do is to go surfing. Talking about these things in advance ensures that both of us will get what we want out of this trip. 


* En route to Brazil in 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment