Working-Mom Series Week 1: Suzy

Monday, March 3, 2014

{You can read the Intro to the Working-Mom Series here}


This week's Working-Mom is Suzy! 
She is currently getting her MBA at BYU and upon graduation this spring she will be working full time at Johnson & Johnson in New Brunswick, NJ in their Procurement Leadership Development Program. 
She also has an adorable 4 year old son named James.


Suzy:

Tell us about how you approached the decision to work/go to school after having a baby?

When I graduated with my bachelor’s degree I took a job with a company in Salt Lake while my husband was finishing up his bachelor’s degree and student teaching. I was pregnant at the time and I was the breadwinner for our family. I really enjoyed my job, and planned on returning to work after the baby was born so I could continue to support my family. I’d never thought about being a working mom before that point, it had always seemed like everyone I knew who had a baby stopped working outside the home once the baby was born. I was really torn because I wanted to give all of my time to my new baby, but I needed to go back to work financially. Once I got back to work I found that I loved having a baby and working, it was really great for me to use my talents outside of the home, and at the same time I felt like I was giving my son excellent care. Even though I wasn't with him for most of the day, when I was with him I was very energetic and happy to see him and I know that even as a baby he could recognize that.

Why was it important for you to work after having a baby?

Aside from needing to work to support my family financially, it was important to me to pursue a career because I knew the impact a good manager can have on the people that work for them. It’s always been important to me to give back to others and I believe my career is a positive influence on the men and women that I work with. I also wanted other women who enjoy a career to feel supported and not like they are in the minority because they work and have children.

What has been the easiest part of keeping up with the demands of work and family?

I have always been very fortunate to have amazing childcare providers who are loving and give him everything he has ever needed when I’m at work or school. It is amazing to be able to focus on work when I need to, and then on my son when I need to. It makes it so much easier to balance my life and I don’t have the stress that many working mothers experience due to trouble with their childcare situations. My husband has played a major role in this as well, we share the responsibility, which makes everything easier to handle.

What has been the hardest part of keeping up with the demands of work and family?

The hardest thing has definitely been learning how to feel good about my decision to be a working mother regardless of what others think or say. I’ve definitely had more people tell me negative things about being a working mother than positive things. I am happy with how I live my life, and proud of my decisions, but negative feedback is still something that I have to learn to let go of so I don’t allow myself to make decisions based on what others think I should do.

What are your current childcare arrangements, what will they be once you start working, and how do you feel about them? 

Since moving to Provo 6 months ago, my sister in law has been taking care of my son. She has two kids of her own and so my son absolutely loves being there. I trust her, and so I couldn't ask for a better situation. Before that, he had been with the same caregiver for 3.5 years, and she was amazing. Once I start working my son will most likely go to a full-time montessori pre-school. I’m still looking for the right place, but I’m confident that I’ll find a good fit. He went to an amazing pre-school this summer during my internship, and he loved it, so I am excited for him to make new friends and try new things.

If you had to pick one trick or tip that helps you make it all work, what would it be? 

I have learned to keep a positive mindset, and rather than seeing work and family as competing for my time, I keep my life at work and at home separate so I can have success with both rather than letting one dictate the other.

What advice would you give to any woman that wants to get more education after having a child? 

Go for it. I've never regretted having more options. I have really learned a lot about life, and the curveballs that can be thrown at me, and I will never regret my ability to support my family. I see so many unhappy women who feel typecast into their roles, whatever those roles may be, and I won’t allow that to happen to myself. I will always encourage women to be educated and take control of their own destiny.


Thank you so much for sharing your story Suzy!

No comments:

Post a Comment