Finding a Humane Elephant Santuary in Thailand

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

WFFT_elephants_KhanKluey30WM_blueball_250713

I consider myself a huge animal lover. Growing up, my favorite Disney movie was Lion King and I always envied Jasmine (in Aladdin) for having a pet Tiger, Rajah. Naturally, one of my greatest wishes was to be able to have intimate interactions with these animals. Not just cats and dogs, but wild animals. 
When I was a teenager I discovered that it was actually possible to have these interactions! I learned of hundreds of places that allow tourists to pet and even 'play' with tigers, and places where you could ride elephants through beautiful forests. Even up until just last year this was a huge dream of mine.
Thailand is well known for offering these kinds of activities, and since we will be there for a couple of weeks this summer, I anxiously started researching where I could sign us up!

Don't necessarily want to go to Thailand...just want to pet a tiger!

While doing some research I discovered some things that didn't sit well with me.
I learned that some of these activities may not be so humane.
I learned that many tiger tourism companies drug the tigers so they are sedated and are less likely to cause harm to the tourists. There are companies that specifically claim that they do not drug their tigers, but then you wonder how in the world are they not attacking people?? If they are not drugged, then what kind of training and conditions do they endure to 'domesticate' these wild animals? I decided rather than trying to figure out which companies treat their tigers kindly or not (because it is very difficult to actually know), that I would just avoid it all together. 

I still had some hope for riding elephants though! 

Elephants have been domesticated in Asia for a long time and I couldn't see the harm in riding them. 
But again, I didn't feel right about what I found.
I learned that the weight of humans  can actually cause serious damage to the spine of an elephant as they are not meant to support that much weight. Hard to believe since they are such massive creatures, which I think is one of the reasons many tourists are unaware of the harm it causes. Many elephant trek camps also attach what's called a Howdah (a large metal or wooden saddle) to the backs of elephants which adds even more weight for them to carry. 

elephant-riding-thailand

Then there is the issue of how these elephants are trained to carry people on their backs. You couldn't just go up to a wild elephant in Africa, hop on its back and expect everything to be smooth sailing. There is some training involved to insure that these animals will not cause harm to people and will follow the instruction of their masters (called Mahouts). I don't want to generalize and say that every elephant-riding company tortures or abuses their elephants because that may not be the case. But there have been documented cases of animal cruelty used and it can be very difficult to distinguish between which companies do or don't.

I recognize this post has been pretty much a big downer. Initially I was really upset that my dreams of getting up close and personal with these animals would never come true.

But there is GOOD NEWS!

I found a couple of animal sanctuaries in Thailand that care for rescued animals and allow tourist to come see them. The one we plan to visit is called Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand (WFFT) in Petchaburi, Thailand. They house hundreds of rescued animals that were previously mistreated, including bears, monkeys, elephants, etc. We will not ride the elephants, but we'll be able to take them for a walk and bathe them as part of their daily routine! We will also be able to witness how these rescued animals are cared for in this facility. So amazing!

Another one that I've heard great things about is Save Elephant Foundation in Chiang Mai which also allows tourist to feed and bathe the elephants.



I don't mean to be judgmental with this post to those who have participated in these activities before. 
I have many friends who have had these opportunities and had wonderful experiences. 
I just want to spread awareness--because I was completely unaware before--and point out that there are other options!



Check out these links for further reading on this subject:

2 comments:

  1. I love this post, Steph! I share your same hesitations about animals taken from the wild. When I was a teen, I did ride an elephant in Chiang Mai and I swam with dolphins in the Bahamas, and I never once thought about the repercussions for the animals in those situations. But I certainly do now. I love that you've found the elephant sanctuary in Chiang Mai - bathing and feeding elephants will be just as fun as riding them, and much safer for the animals. We have the responsibility of taking care of those that can't speak for themselves - it is a lot harder to find places to visit that have proper values, but you'll be so glad you supported those places rather than the ones that mistreat the animals they hold captive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts, Sarah! I, too, swam with dolphins when I was a teenager and am amazed at what little thought I gave to the animals in these entertainment activities. Like I mentioned, I didn't really think about it until I started researching elephant sanctuaries--and that was just last year! I agree, I think it will be so much more fun and rewarding to visit a place where I know the animals are not being exploited or treated badly.

      Delete