Whole Wheat Banana Nut Muffins

Tuesday, March 25, 2014


Like I've mentioned before, I like to make snacks for Derek and I to take to work/school rather than buying them so I know exactly what is in them and so that we don't get tired of the same old things. 
This week I tried these yummy banana nut muffins for the first time.
I have a banana muffin recipe that I've used in the past, but I made a few adjustments to it.
I added peanut butter to up the protein and oats because I like the texture it gives. 
I also added walnuts because I love the crunchiness it adds and I love the combo of banana and walnuts.
We loved these as a snack! 
They aren't overly sweet and they're very filling. 

Servings: 12 large muffins

Ingredients:
  • 3  very ripe bananas (2 1/2 and 1/2 separated), mashed
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce 
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter 
  • 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a muffin tin with liners and spray with Pam. Combine all dry ingredients (flour, oats, baking soda, and salt) in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together using an electric mixer. Add mashed banana (2 1/2), egg whites, apple sauce, vanilla extract and peanut butter and continue beating until thick. Pour in the dry mixture and mix o low speed. Add chopped walnuts and mini chocolate chips and mix with a spoon. 

Pour batter into muffin liners. Take the leftover 1/2 banana and cut it into thin slices. Place one slice on top of each muffin mixture. Let it bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

*Tip: Adding the banana slices on top is best if you are going to eat the muffins soon after baking them. 
If you are saving them as snacks for the week, you might want to leave them out so it doesn't turn brown.







No comments:

Post a Comment