Intro to the Working-Mom Series

Monday, March 3, 2014

Source: http://elizabethlombardo.com/

I am so excited to be kicking off the "Working-Mom" series! 
This is part of an assignment for a class that my husband and I are both taking this semester called 
'Work and Family'.

I decided to take this class because the subject has been on my mind a lot lately.
I hope to have kids in the future and I've gone through many different emotions as I've thought about what I am going to do once that time comes.
I've always enjoyed working and I feel like it is a big part of how I gain feelings of accomplishment.
I have struggled with the thought of not having that same opportunity once kiddos are in the picture.

Throughout this course and by listening to the experiences of friends who are mothers,
I've learned that having kids does not mean I have to give up on my career aspirations.
Of course having children creates new challenges, but there are ways to make things work.
There is not one perfect formula for every family and that is not what this series is about.
Rather, the purpose of this series is really just to share personal experiences with each other and recognize that different things work for different people--and that's okay!

We chose to interview 5 working moms in various work accommodations (such as full-time, part-time, work from home, etc) about their experiences
I will be posting a new entry every Monday for the next 5 weeks starting with today!

Week 1: Suzy
Week 2: Alina
Week 3: Christine
Week 4: Brenda
Week 5: Erin

3 comments:

  1. Steph, I think it's wonderful you are doing this series. There is no "one-size-fits-all" solution for women and mothering. Even the "right" solution for one woman may change over time. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I totally agree, throughout different stages of life what works best might change. I have really enjoyed hearing from these working mothers and how they make things work for their families right now. By the way, your cute little guy is getting so big!!

      Delete
  2. I have been meaning to tell you that my friend Angelica is in Menlo Park and you two would be fast friends. Anyhow, I will fwd your blog to her.
    On a different note, I was home after I had Jaedyn but decided I wanted to go back to work. I worked through Keo's pregnancy too. Sometimes I miss not working but thankfully am able to find ways that I feel like I am contributing still... blogging and writing is one of them.
    I am looking forward to your posts. I wish I was taking this class too :(

    ReplyDelete