Madrid Favorites

Thursday, June 26, 2014


Madrid was the first stop on our 2 month travel journey, and it seems like a lifetime ago! 
Looking over our pictures reminds me of some of our favorite things we did there:

1. Tapas

Of course, the food in a new place is always a highlight.
I know I've said it before, but tapas is definitely my kind of eating.
Small portions of lots of different foods lets you try so many more dishes than simply ordering one big dish.
We lucked out and found the most delicious tapas restaurant our first night in Madrid.
It was outdoors which I loved since it was a beautiful night
and everything we ordered was sooo yummy.


2. Parque del Retiro

The weather was perfect while we were in Spain, so we couldn't stand the thought of being indoors.
We spent almost a full day at this huge beautiful park and enjoyed the sunshine. 
We weren't the only ones with the idea.
Many people were out having picnics on the lawn or riding cute row boats on the water.


3. Hot Chocolate and Churros

Mmm, I had been looking forward to chocolate and churros since the moment we landed in Madrid. 
This is a typical Spanish breakfast dish, but it also makes a great afternoon snack or dessert.
And this is no ordinary hot chocolate. 
The chocolate they use is more like a thick, rich, delicious pudding that pairs perfectly with the warm, crispy churro.
Mmm, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!
Also, the churro is not as sweet as the Costco churros I'm used to that are covered in cinnamon and sugar.
Instead, they are more subtle-tasting as to not overpower the delicious chocolate.


4. Madrid LDS Temple

My church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints; or Mormon church) has temples all over the world and I LOVE when we get to visit one abroad. 
Lucky for us, there was one not too far from where we were staying in Madrid.
It is a beautiful temple and we were so happy to be able to do service inside.
It was also a great way to feel spiritually rejuvenated, even while traveling!


5. Plaza Mayor

This is the central plaza in Madrid and is a big tourist attraction.
There are lots of restaurants and bakeries nearby (we got our hot chocolate and churros not too far from here) and street performers entertaining the crowds.
Be careful though, many tourists get pick-pocketed here while they're distracted by the performers.
Most of the street performers were mildly entertaining, but there was one terrible one that just gave me the creeps!
It was an old man dressed as a baby in a carriage.
He paints his face like a clown and makes baby sounds.
Disturbing, right?!
I truly don't understand why people are entertained by him.
I think I was extra disturbed because I caught him on a smoke break...the vision of a clown baby smoking has been forever seared into my memory.


6. Mercado de San Miguel

I love a good market and this one did not disappoint!
The Mercado de San Miguel is an indoor market but has a very outdoor feel since there are floor-to-ceiling windows.
This is a great place to grab a snack or eat a meal.
I loved the variety of foods inside--everything from fresh fish, to nuts, to fruit/vegetables, to pastries. 
My favorite were the fresh squeezed fruit juices!


We loved starting our trip off in Madrid!!
The perfect weather, delicious food, and the fact that we could both speak the language made it a great way to get started off on the right foot!

4 comments:

  1. so fun!!! now i want to go back :)
    i love that you made it to the temple!
    xoxoxo

    emi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, now I want to go back too!! We just need to move to Europe ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh boy, I absolutely love Mercado de San Miguel. We actually stumbled upon it on accident too, which I think made the visit all the more enjoyable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful gem to stumble upon! It was seriously one of my absolute favorite parts of Madrid. Glad you enjoyed it too :)

      Delete