Hola from Madrid

Friday, May 2, 2014


After a 22 hour travel day, we finally made it to Madrid!!
We were pretty beat by the time we got to our place but we forced ourselves to stay awake to avoid jet lag. 
We were also starving so we headed to our first tapas experience at Lateral.
The restaurant was recommended to us and it's just a few blocks from where we are staying.


As we were waiting in line to be seated I ran into an old friend from high school. 
What are the odds?! 
We are in a foreign country for less than an hour and we already see someone we know. Love it!
This is such a small world we live in.


The food was incredible and the weather was perfect for outdoor seating.
I love the tapas style of eating--you get to try lots of different foods in the perfect amounts.
I could definitely get used to this.




The next morning we set out to explore Madrid.
We headed to the Prado Museum only to find out that it was closed because of Labor Day (which always falls on May 1st in Spain).
We weren't too disappointed though, since there is literally something to see at every corner here.



We walked over to the Parque Del Retiro which is essentially the Central Park of Madrid.
I love me a good park and this one was exceptionally amazing.
First of all, it's huge! 
We could have spent all day walking the grounds. 
It is also very clean and well kept.
My favorite part was the row boats.
We just watched from afar since we weren't up for waiting in the long line or paying the expensive fee.
I know--we're adventurous. 
BUT I did buy a hat...which for me is pretty adventurous!
I figured 'when in Rome', right?? 
I bought it at the Parque so it also makes for a great souvenir :)





I think Derek's favorite part of the day was just laying in this patch of grass.
He said he was taking in the fact that he is done with school.
No more exams, no more group projects, no more homework.
He was just soaking it all in.
---
And that was pretty much our first day in Madrid!
We have absolutely loved it here so far.
The food is amazing and we love practicing our Spanish every chance we get.

Adios for now!

2 comments:

  1. Have such a fun time! I just returned home from my 20+ hour flight yesterday, so I commend you on not only beating jet lag but also blogging while on vacation. You've got me beat on both counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those flights crazy!! The things we do for travel... :) I know, blogging on vacation is a challenge,--we'll see how long I can keep it up!

      Delete